Tuesday, November 11, 2014

To be or Not to be Notes




“To be, or not to be: that is the question”
what is it that I’m being; is it truthful to be who I am
to act or not to act → to avenge my father’s death and change as a person as a result or to keep still and stay with the flow


“...slings and arrows…”
unbearable things he [Hamlet] has to deal with, or stand up and say to


“...to die, to sleep…”
not face it


“...’tis a consummation...”
ending; consider it attractive for a moment


“...ay, there’s the rub…”
dilemma, problem; envision good life
“yes. it’s attractive, but I don’t really know….”


“...the oppressor’s wrong...”
Claudius


“...the proud man’s contumely...”
Polonius; contumely → rude speech


“...pangs of despised love...”
love offered that’s despised


“...insolence of office…”
arrogance with a side of not so nice words


“...patient merit of the unworthy takes…”
dealing with these people requires lots of insults


“...bodkin…” → dagger
“I just want to kill myself” [in a joking matter; think modern, angsty teenager on the verge of a meltdown as he/she goes through the college application process]


“...to grunt and sweat under a weary life...the undiscovered country….”
should I shift gear or should I stay with the thorn stuck on my side?


“...thus conscience thus make cowards of us all…”
murder is justified BUT it’s still murder and our conscience reminds us of that → GUILT
(which is a good way to control people)
“...currents turn awry…”
juxtaposition on that end couplet → makes it more realistic, different when being observed

No comments:

Post a Comment